Eating green bananas or bananas in general can cheer you up! They are the only fruits that contain the amino acid tryptophan and vitamin B6 which together help the body produce serotonin, the natural chemical that alleviates mental depression.
Unlike yellow bananas, green bananas have to be cooked first. Nutritionally, the green banana is a good source of fibre, vitamins and minerals. It also contains starch that may help control blood sugar, manage weight and lower blood cholesterol levels.
Read more on the properties plus enjoy a recipe!
High Fibre Content
Green bananas are full of fibre which is key for proper digestion and bowel movement. If you are on a weight-loss diet, include some green bananas for breakfast. This is because they will suppress your appetite due to the fibre content therefore keeping you away from too much snacking.
High in Potassium
Green bananas are high in potassium which is important for muscle movement, proper functioning of the nerves, and purification of blood by the kidneys.
High in Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 plays an important role in more than 100 enzymatic reactions in your body. It is also necessary for the formation of haemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen in your body. This is also the vitamin that aids in blood sugar control, so have yourself some green bananas.
Good Source of Resistance Starch
Green bananas are a great source of resistance starch. Resistant starch is a type of starch that cannot be broken down by enzymes in your digestive system and therefore acts more like fibre than starch. This may reduce your risk of diabetes by aiding in blood sugar control and heart disease by helping to lower blood cholesterol levels.
Try out this really easy breakfast recipe that will leave you feeling full for a few hours.
- 8 green bananas in medium size
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cut each banana into four pieces. (Split lengthwise, then cut each piece in two)
- Chop onions and add to a pan with the oil
- Sprinkle some sugar to caramelize the onions
- Sautee the onions till brown
- Add bananas, turmeric, and a sprinkle of sugar
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Fry in low heat till browning starts
- Add water and simmer till soft when poked through with a fork
- Serve with a side of eggs, and your favorite morning drink.